OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum

OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum (http://forums.ocworkbench.com/index.php)
-   Coffee Shop & Chit Chat Corner (http://forums.ocworkbench.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Introduction (http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=165012)

TechGuyLA 22-06-2014 06:14 AM

Introduction

Hi.
I'm TechGuyLA from Los Angeles, CA. I've been overclocking computers for many many years. Really enjoy it. I've been using Asus boards for quite some time now. I just read of the overclocking record set on an ASrock OC Formula board and just put an order in for one. Currently running an i7-4770K, have ordered an i7-4790K.
I found out about this grpup from the ASRock site, but, been aware of OCWorkbench for probably as long as it's been up. Great site, glad to be a member here and looking forward to reading the posts.

bluetooth 22-06-2014 08:15 AM

Thanks for dropping by. We are up since 1998.
So, when is your i7 4790K arriving ? Where do you usually purchase your products ?

Do check out our amazon store http://en.ocworkbench.com/estore/

TechGuyLA 23-06-2014 09:31 AM

Thanks for the post. The i7-4960K is backordered from TigerDirect. They advise when in stock they will ship in the order received. The ASRock Z97 OC Formula was ordered from Newegg. These weren't available on any sites when I placed the order. Newegg expects delivery and to ship by June 27.
I buy quite a bit of computer equipment yearly for myself and clients. I have found the best prices to be at eBay, TigerDirect, B&H, Provantage, Amazon, MicroCenter, MWave. I purchase quite a bit from eBay. For most all equipment I will buy from the seller with the lowest net price with shipping and tax. I'm now purchasing less from Amazon since they started collecting tax from California residents. But, I always purchase motherboards from a major site. I've purchased quite a few motherboards through the years and have received a few that were defective, After the first problem I started purchasing them from site where I know I can RMA them quickly and with no hassle. I find that eBay is always one of the first places to look for anything, but, I don't purchase motherboards there. On eBay, I generally only purchase from sellers with quite a few positives and a percentage satisfaction as high as I can find. I will also most likely read the negatives a seller received in the last 6 moths, last year.
Now where do you or other readers of this thread purchase computer equipment from? I would think were all interested in getting good prices.

TechGuyLA 23-06-2014 09:38 AM

When writing this post I hadn't yet checked out your store on Amazon. I wasn't aware of this store on Amazon. Since writing this post I went there. Great store! I will definitely be checking this site when making any future purchases.

bluetooth 23-06-2014 03:13 PM

It is the same amazon store that is brings the amazon products to our worldwide readers. (just that the interface is slightly different).

btw, do let me know when you get your 4790K, I am just wondering if the retail version can overclock better an ES.

TechGuyLA 03-07-2014 06:09 AM

i-4790K Overclocking

I'll let you know. Hopefully I'll get a good one.

TechGuyLA 03-07-2014 09:40 AM

Forgot to mention, have the 4790K, waiting for the motherboard.

bluetooth 06-07-2014 08:40 PM

Which board will u be pairing it up with.

TechGuyLA 08-07-2014 03:55 AM

I'm been purchasing Asus boards for years, the last being the Z87 Deluxe/dual, good board. But, I'm going to try the Asrock Z97 OC Formula. I I read about the overclocking record being broken with this board. The overclocker brought the CPU up to a frequency of 7003.38 MHz, (with two CPU cores enabled and hyper-threading disabled). Granted this Board was cooled with liquid nitrogen. But, the way I'm looking at it is how many boards could have held up to the stress of producing these results? I figured it's worth a look and ordered one which just came today. It wasn't available for sale until 7/2. No reviews out yet so I'm taking a gamble on it. I'll be interested to see what the chip and motherboard can do. I was able the get the i7-4770K on the Asus above to 4.5, but, it wasn't stable. It's stable at 4.4. I don't know what to expect with this new combination. I'm running it with a Corsair Hydro H100i and on a Cooler Master HAF-X RC943.

TechGuyLA 24-07-2014 06:03 AM

Have the new rig running. I'm quite surprised at the performance. But, as we know when buying a CPU all of the same ones overclock differently. It appears I got a good one this time. The i7-4770K overclocked to 4.3Ghz. I could get it to 4.4 with a lot of tweaking, but, it wouldn't last a week before crashing. The last few years I've been overclocking by starting with only increasing the multiplier, nothing else. I next go to increasing voltage. I know we all probably have our own ways of doing this. I started this one with a multiplier of 4.3GHz, booted fine. Increased it to 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7. 4.8. It boots to 4.8 fine with just a change in the multiplier to 48. Temperature is low after about an hour use of 110F which is all quite surprising to me. Note: I'm not a gamer, sad to say just a mundane email, Internet computer user. I know I can overclock it further, but, am leaving it at 4.8GHz for now. I'll let you all know results when I try to overclock further.
F.Y.I. I'm running in a great case, the Cooler Master HAF-X RC943-KNNT with a Corsair Hydro H100i cooler.