OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum

OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum (http://forums.ocworkbench.com/index.php)
-   Gaming - PC and Console Games (http://forums.ocworkbench.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   PS2/PS3 users sign in (http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=56184)

bluetooth 12-11-2006 10:15 AM

PS2/PS3 users sign in

PS2/PS3 users sign in. What are your favourite games?

funkflex 19-01-2007 06:11 AM

i have a PS2 at home. It's not mine i borrowed it. The games that i play are: Def Jam Fight For New York , Street Fighter and Driv3r

Loaded 22-01-2007 03:23 AM

ps2 here but i dont play games with it anymore just dvds

bobbytomorow 20-07-2007 08:17 PM

PS1
PS2
PSP
PS3

Playstation ftw:smile:

RayvenX 20-07-2007 08:48 PM

I had a PS2 which I played GT4 and FFXII on. When I got bored with those games I sold it on. However, I do have another one I built out of bits of broken PS2s, I just don't have any leads/games/controllers for it...

I also have an equally neglected, but modded, XBox which I played Halo, Halo 2, Forza Motorsport and Fable on 'till I got bored with them. It runs Mediaportal and has quite a few games backed up on the HD for quicker loading... And it even gets used... for playing DVDs now and again :biggrin:

I also have a semi-dysfunctional 360 Core (it's an eBay win and I haven' got round to sorting out the DVD drive yet) and a PSP with a 3.51-M33 firmware I use as a portable Wi-Fi internet radio :cool: I'm not much good at games on it though, because the analog stick is too fiddly and the screen too small for me.

In conclusion, the only things I really use are PCs, although I do have a lot of consoles lying around that were generally bought on a whim (though all at substantially less than retail prices because I always buy broken kit on eBay and fix it up) :redface:

I probably won't buy a PS3 unless one turns up really cheap. In graphics comparisons with the 360 so far, that G70-based, fixed-pipeline graphics chip is really starting to creak in comparison to the 360's ATI unit, and most developers are complaining that the complicated CPU is a real pig to take proper advantage of, not to mention the fact that stream processors are useless for many tasks a game needs to do, like physics calculation, which have to be relegated entirely to the single PPE, so I can't see the situation getting any better. 360's CPU is just better suited to the tasks it needs to do, with 3 more generalised CPU cores, although even that is over-optimised for stream processing, with it's small caches and deep pipelines. Both chips are really more suited to lab work, like protein folding, so what the hell are they doing in games consoles?

With that said, I can't say I'm particularly interested in either the 360 or the PS3. My PC already easily surpasses either in graphical power, if not overall computing power, and it is already evident Nintendo have won this round of the console wars with technology inferior to the original XBox, just like they have in the DS vs. PSP situation. They've proven that Sony and Microsoft really need a major paradigm shift if they want to make selling game consoles profitable again. The hardware in the 360 and PS3 is just too expensive. It's going to be a long time before they could make a profit on the actual hardware, even at current prices (which is why we haven't really seen any price drops so far in the current generation), which means even with games for the PS3 and 360 priced as high as they are to subsidise the marginal profits/losses from console sales, both Sony Computer Entertainment and Microsoft Game Studios are facing a rocky time at the moment. Obviously, neither Sony nor Microsoft will admit the fact, as both companies can easily afford to 'prop up' their gaming divisions to 'save face' but in the long term, I think you'll see very different design philosophies in the next generation.

bluetooth 21-12-2013 04:41 PM

Anyone for PS4