View Single Post
Old 05-11-2001, 06:01 PM
Panzer676

Thumbs up

Ok i think i almost got this down lol. Tell me if the following is correct.

So the FSB is a bus that connects all the other buses on the systemboard together. With out the FSB none of the other buses would be able to send data to each other.
The FSB can also be called the system bus.
All other buses run at the same speed as the FSB or a divided speed from the FSB speed. Exapt the cpu which runs off a multiplyer of the FSB. But techecnicly the cpu's bus is the FSB, the multiplyer is just for cpu clock speed. So all buses on the system board can only be the same as the FSB or lower. With speed i mean mhz not data transfer.

Also most systemboards have only one FSB speed, but because the K7S5A has to kinds of memory options it allows the memory based part of the FSB to be a lower mhz for the SDRAM(PC100) which is only supposet to be running at 100 mhz. DDRSDRAM (PC266) is supposed to be running at 133mhz but can be forced higher by over clocking.

Ok last questions if i have my board running at 133/133 what is the IC speed? Also can the IC speed be changed like the FSB, and what does the IC speed (mhz) physicly do to the system.

Lastly when you double pump or bump a bus on the system board. How does that make it faster. I understand the highway idea but where do these extra lanes come from. It sounds like you are some how making a 16 bit bus magicly turn into a 32 bit bus. Can you explain this. In other words how does the pumping physicly happen.

Thanks mike and everyone else, you are a great help. I am a Computer Science student so that why i want to no all this stuff.