Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD

General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD Discuss all brands of mainboard problems here. CPU/Chipset issues. Post brand specific questions in the brand channels. Subforums : ABIT, ASUS, Chaintech, EPoX, MSI, Jetway, Chipsets, Extreme Overclocking.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Pentium 90 (P54C) multiplier modification?

General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD

Old 27-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 20
trodas is on a distinguished road
Question Pentium 90 (P54C) multiplier modification?

An old Pentium 90 CPU (P54C) has internal multiplier x1.5 - so it make from the 60MHz FSB the 90MHz clock.

I do wonder, however, if that multiplier can be set to x1

Usually people want to overclock, however I would like to try underclocking and the x1.5 multiplier suxx. If I understand good the multiplier settings, for example for the Asus TXP4-X Socket 7 board: http://rapidshare.com/files/202992710/Asus_TXP4-X.pdf
( http://capsmod.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=342 )
Then setting BF0, BF1 to 1-2, 1-2 (manual, page 17) let the CPU internal multiplier be used, so, if I can modify the multiplier somehow (burning internal path? connecting two pins?), then I got the underclocker dream machine.

Anyone know if that is possible or know someone who might know?

Another possibility is the Pentium Overdrive, but dunno where to obtain one and if it ever run at x1 multi. Any other ideas, beside rare 5V Pentium 60/66 witch use Socket 4 and hence are not very usufull as the nice underclocker board has Socket 7 (5) ...

Another idea pop into mind and that is the Mobile Pentium or Mobile Pentium MMX chips for laptops, but I have no idea either where to get one of these, besides I have no idea if they can run with the x1 multi...

Anyone got some clues there?
Old 28-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

Potenza rep: 27
RayvenX is on a distinguished road

Surely something like a Via C3 would use even less power than an underclocked Pentium 1, would actually provide useful computing power and would be equally available in skips, given that computer equipment over about 3 years old apparently has no value whatsoever in our greedy consumerist society?

Edit: I just looked at my sig and realised I'm the biggest hypocrite in the world. Oops.

Huawei Nexus 6P | LG Nexus 5X | LG Nexus 5
LG Nexus 4 | LG G3 D855 | Asus Nexus 7 2013
Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 (Win10/Android-x86_64) | Xbox 360 | PS3

Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Bronze Member

Red face

Well, I don't give a rats ass about society and much less about this consume boom :) I looking for something far more radical that low power CPU. If and when I look for low power CPU, I go for Atom. IMHO this is a beautifull CPU, as far as the power effectivity goes.

Anyway, let's not yet talk about reasons, let's talk about how this can be done.

So the question is - how to modify the Pentium to force it into x1 multi?

As far as the documentation goes, well, if I have it, I would figure it out myself already, so I asking about that because I did not have it. Intel sell (!!!) some documentations that might be interesting, like:

Pentium Processor Technical Overview - 241610
AP-579: Pentium Processor Flexible Motherboard Design Guidelines - 243187
AP-479: Pentium Processor Clock Design - 241574
Pentium Processor 3.3V Clock Driver Specifications
Pentium Processor 3.3V ASIC Interface Specification

However I did not seems any way to buy them: http://www.intel.com/support/process.../cs-011038.htm
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SU031
http://support.intel.com/support/pro.../CS-023718.htm

Last edited by trodas : 02-03-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

Red face

Intel support is really funny. First they are telling me that documentation for Pentium (1) I must BUY (?!?!) and then - Intel is announcing the discontinuation of interactive support for the... well, for almost every older CPUs. That suxx

So I wonder, if any of the also supported Socket 5/7 CPUs by the board, such as Cyrix 6x86 PR166+, K5 and K6 (some even claim K6-2 or so works well) can be forced to accept x1 multi.

So I go to the http://amd.com
clicked on the Support & drivers
then clicked on Technical Documentation
...and then ERROR: 404 Not found

ROFL

Is that a IT joke, or AMD way of support?