Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > Special Interest Groups > Software Tech Support

Software Tech Support Discuss about the latest software problems including antivirus, anti malware programs. Troubleshooting program errors.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

FINALLY - Acrobat installed on Yoper Linux

Software Tech Support

Old 01-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 23
Tuvoc is on a distinguished road
Ubntu looks interesting also - great website, I just viewed a slide-show of the screen shots of the install process and then the finished desktop - Gnome looks a bit cleaner than KDE to me. I may give that a try.... Such a huge choice of Linux distros to cater for everyone - not like "one size fits all" Windows
Old 01-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 23
Tuvoc is on a distinguished road
Fedora RC2 4gig DVD iso now downloaded (using good old Windows command line ftp client - awesome !) and DVD burnt. Have also downloaded the Ubuntu iso so I have plenty to keep me busy.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 24
yujen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by davidgl:
Fedora checks dependencies and adds any that are missing, then downloads from a single source. Trouble with Debian apt-get is that some packages can be omitted because the servers where they are located are down or busy, some packages may be commercial only, some seem to be non-exportable from the US???? (at least, that's what the message seems to be saying?), so it is easy to end up with less than the complete set. I like Debian, but it seems like a can of worms - too many interdependent and inter-reliant sources/packages. Broth and cooks?
DGL.
never had a problem with apt-get on debian, dependencies are automatically detected and asks if you are sure you want to install. It even gives you the amount of space its going to take up on your HDD after you install it.

I've never had a problem with the server being down (ftp.us.debian.org doesn't usually go down) if it does, simply change the server in /etc/apt/sources.list and use a different mirror, theres alot of them around, theres one thats bound to be still up.

Of course you can also download all the CDs rather than using the network.

Oh the non-US thing just means there are certain legal restrictions on cryptographic software by US laws (ssh, etc). What this means is you can't transfer those software from a US located server to somewhere outside of US, you can however transfer it from outside into the US. Debian non-US servers are always hosted in a country outside of the US so there isn't any problems... stupid US laws [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 24
davidgl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for those clarifications and suggestions, yujen! Any chance you could help with my CD-RW/DVD-RW swap issue, please?!
DGL.
PS. I signed up for the Ubuntu free CDs, so there'll be a delay before testing. No broadband! Equally appealing Debian distro: Libranet. Plenty of good reviews. Anyone with comments?