Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (Intel boards)

ASRock (Intel boards) This is a brand new ASRock channel for discussion for Intel boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

ASRock Z87 Extreme4 won't boot

ASRock (Intel boards)

Old 13-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
msimm is on a distinguished road
Default ASRock Z87 Extreme4 won't boot

I've never had this problem before. I just finished building a new box and the only thing that happens when I hit the power button is the fans spin up for about one second and then everything stops. Nothing displays on the monitor.

All components are new:
ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz
SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 400W fanless
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SATA III SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD

But there's nothing on the disks yet. I haven't even gotten to POST, let alone installing Windows.

Any ideas where I should look for the problem? Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks.
Mike
Old 17-11-2014, 02:48 AM
Rookie

I found this thread that seemed to have the solution:

http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=153800

I'm using low-profile memory to fit under the Noctua NH-U14S CPU cooler I'm using and that thread indicates the board may not recognize low-voltage DIMMs. I put in one DIMM of regular voltage memory and tried to boot so I could go into the BIOS and set the voltage manually.

The same thing happens -- power comes on for about one second and then goes off.

I can only put the regular-size DIMM into the B2 slot. It won't fit under the CPU cooler (which is why I got low-profile memory). The manual doesn't indicate if it's going to work with the memory in that slot but I wouldn't expect it to. But getting it into the A1 or B1 slot means removing the CPU cooler, after which I'll need to clean the CPU, reapply paste and reattach it.

So before I do that I'd like to have some idea if I've identified the problem and if removing the cooler and installing the regular DIMM in another slot will be necessary.

I haven't had any replies to this thread so far but I see there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here (far more knowledgeable than me).

Can anyone here help?

Thanks.
Mike

Old 17-11-2014, 03:05 AM
Rookie

Update: I was able to install the regular-size DIMM in the B2 slot by removing the fan from the CPU cooler. It was being pushed just a bit to the side on the top of the tall cooling fins but it was snapped in OK (I didn't force it).

Same thing -- power on for one second and then off.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Mike