Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > Gigabyte^

Gigabyte^ Gigabyte mainboard discussions

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Yet more problems with GA-7VRXP

Gigabyte^

Old 14-08-2002, 04:15 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
UTpunkX is on a distinguished road
I just got the GA-7VRXP and was really looking forward to getting it up and running. I started off having problems with the power supply but I finally got it going. The first time it boots up it goes into BIOS and everything is sweet. Then it freezes. Ever since then I can't even get it to do video. I need some major help.

Here's what I got:
GA-7VRXP mobo
Athalon XP 1800
crappy Diamond Stealth s540 PCI video (saving for better)
Maxtor 80Gig HD
and the normal floppys roms and such.

Please help me out!
Old 14-08-2002, 05:22 AM

Evilscientist is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Sounds like you might have to RMA that board.

I had a similar problem with a K7S5a...turned out there was somthing wrong with the DDR memory system, as with SDRAM installed the computer booted fine....upgraded to the Giga-byte and had no problem ever since.

...so it sounds like you've got a hardware problem with the board to me...considering it never really worked...

...I'd RMA the board and get a new one.

Old 14-08-2002, 05:40 AM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 22
Hood is on a distinguished road
UTpunkX
First thing to try would be to clear the CMOS. Also you said you had PSU probs, what exactly and have you tried another PSU. Also please post what Rev your mobo is ( you will see this printed between the North Bridge and the mem slots). Also if you could tell us what brand the PSU is and also what the power of the 3.3/5v combined rails, you should get this info on the PSU lable. What type and speed memory do you have. Lots of questions I know but this info may be Necessary.
Hood
Old 14-08-2002, 09:36 AM

Potenza rep: 23
diospadre is on a distinguished road
do fans come on? does it still beep?

you may have fried your cpu.
Old 14-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Rookie

asuh is on a distinguished road
I'm working on UTpunkX's PC and shall answer your questions for him. The only power supply problem we had was when we first hooked everything up nothing was happening. I'm very sure that's not the problem because we bought a 350W Allied PSU, combined power is 190W. My thought is something is wrong with either the motherboard (rev 2.0) or the CPU. What indications would be present if we fried the CPU? The ram is 512MB Samsung pc2700 "ctl". It's top notch and I doubt that's causing it, but I can't prove anything.

As for booting up, the fans are the only thing that power up. I see the power light by the memory so I know there's power getting to the mobo itself.

I've tried clearing the CMOS a few times but no luck. I'm right in assuming there shouldn't be a jumper on the pins for the CMOS unless you're clearing it?

Also you said you had PSU probs, what exactly and have you tried another PSU. Also please post what Rev your mobo is ( you will see this printed between the North Bridge and the mem slots). Also if you could tell us what brand the PSU is and also what the power of the 3.3/5v combined rails, you should get this info on the PSU lable. What type and speed memory do you have. Lots of questions I know but this info may be Necessary.
Old 14-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Rookie

oops, i forgot the delete the above--just copied it from Hood.
Old 14-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 22
Hood is on a distinguished road
asuh
Have you tried powering up without the Ram, you should hear 2 0r 3 long beep.Also try with ram but remove video, you should a series of short beeps. If you dont hear anything it narrows it down to the CPU or mobo,thats assuming the speaker is connected and working. I would then remove HSF and CPU and check to see if the CPU has any signs of damage,cracked core,burning etc. If not replace and try again making sure that the HSF is sitting sqarely and also that you have a thermal compound. If it still wont work the only option is to swap out components to another machine and test individually.
Hood
Old 15-08-2002, 03:22 AM
Rookie

Well, here's what has happened. I took the ram out, no video hooked up either. Nothing happened. So I took the mobo out and unhooked the fan. Only have the CPU was covered with my silver grease (artic silver) and the edge that did have the silver seems to have a *very* tiny crack, but I'm not sure. I could be that I'm looking at it wrong, but the other 3 look fine. It's just this one edge with the grease that *might* have a crack. I might be confused because of grease making it look that way, but that's the only thing I can come up with.
Old 15-08-2002, 03:55 AM
Rookie

UTpunkX is on a distinguished road
Can we take your stuff off so thet the CPU is like normal just in order to get things running? If you think I need a new Video card then I guess I can go ahead and invest in that with my CREDIT CARD!
Old 15-08-2002, 04:07 AM
Rookie

No, UT, this isn't a video card problem. Being that the CPU is cracked (assuming it is), we'll have to RMA it back and get a new cpu. The "stuff" is off of the cpu, I took all the conductive grease off the bridges. Despite this, even if I try to turn it on, with a cracked core on the CPU, it probably won't work correctly.