Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (Intel boards)

ASRock (Intel boards) This is a brand new ASRock channel for discussion for Intel boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup

ASRock (Intel boards)

Old 21-01-2013, 04:11 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
ramon zarat is on a distinguished road
Question Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup

Hi.

I have Xfast RAM V2.0.28 with a 8GB RAM disk installed (out of 16GB available). Proprieties of the RAM disk shows it's exFAT file system. Xfast RAM has the following configuration:

Drive letter: H:
Disk Size: 8192
Ready boost: OFF
System Temp Files: ON
IE Cache Files: ON
WinRAR Temp File: ON
Virtual memory Paging file: OFF
User Temp files: ON
Chrome Cache Files: ON
Opera Cache Files: OFF (not installed)
Backup at system shutdown: OFF
Restore after system boot: OFF

Problem:
In Windows 7 64 Ultimate "backup and restore", I try to make a system image backup. I click on "create a system image" and then, as per on screen instruction, I select my destination drive (D: WD 1TB Black ) and click "NEXT". The next screen report that the backup location is "D:" and "The following drives will be backed up:"

"System (C:) (System)"
"System Reserved (System)"
"ASR_RAM (H:) (System)"

NOTE: Windows backup DOESN'T let you choose the drive to be backed up. The 3 drives mentioned are imposed as default.

I then press "Start backup" but the application report "The backup failed" with the following explanation:

"One of the volumes specified for the backup is invalid because it is either not a fixed drive, is not formated -NTFS, or is read only"

IMPORTANT: As soon as I deactivate Xfast RAM completely and reboot, the same backup process work perfectly.

After some research and testing, this is what I have found:

1- Xfast RAM is definitively the problem
2- Windows backup clearly specify NTFS partition is required. Xfast RAM at 8GB use exFAT
3- The RAM disk drive "ASR_RAM (H:) (System)" shouldn't even appear in the backup list in the first place.
3- In Windows 7 Disk Management, the "ASR_RAM (H:)" partition is set to "Active", which explain why it appears in the imposed drive list to be backed up and shows as a "System" drive. There is no need to set this RAM disk partition as active as it is impossible to boot from it!

Conclusion:

Impossible to backup my PC with Xfast RAM activated because the RAM disk is set as active partition and therefore is considered as a "System" disk that need to be backed up. Unfortunately, the partition is exFAT, which is incompatible with Windows backup NTFS requirement...

Each time I want to backup, I MUST deactivate Xfast RAM, reboot, backup, reactivated it again and reboot again. This is a real pain.... Can anyone report this to ASRock so they can update Xfast RAM to set RAM disk partition as ***NON-active*** and if it must be kept as active for some technical reasons, at least switch exFAT for NTFS.

Thanks,

Ramon