Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ECS / PCChips > ECS#2002 (精英#2002)

ECS#2002 (精英#2002) ECS Sector #2002.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Lack of Recognition Toward ECS

ECS#2002 (精英#2002)

Old 04-04-2002, 10:10 AM

Potenza rep: 23
one111111 is on a distinguished road
The K7S5A proved to be a big contender as an AMD motherboard with the SiS735 chipset. Now, they're stepping up big on the Intel side with the L4S5A. I have read on the MaximumPC magazine on a guy wondering why it's not getting any reviews or exposure on their mag and on an article on Tomshardware, where they round up all the motherboards using the SiS645, yet no ECS board is reviewed. When I think of ECS, I think SiS but yet I feel they're not getting the exposure they deserve. What's your thoughts?
Old 04-04-2002, 10:24 AM
BANNED Troublemakers

Potenza rep: 0
toXicbluE is on a distinguished road
i even think, lots of reviews are trying to put a bad image on SIS-chipsets - i read some german reviews on K7S6A, which say: it's not stable,difficult installation, poor OC, bad layout an so on. here is my opinion- installation was more easy than any other board i EVER HEAD! This Board ist more stable than every other board i EVER HEAD! The Layout is strange, but it gave me better air circulation than any other board i EVER HEAD ( results in very low temps)! I believe with further bioses OC will get more stable at the high FSB settings.

I really love ECS and SIS for their unbelievable price/performance ratio!

Old 04-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Bronze Member

raggie is on a distinguished road
lol ecs is a great baord i like it more then my asus boards that where almost twice as much.and sis has no pci latency like via!! i think both ecs and sis are underrated.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:43 AM

Max_M_25 is on a distinguished road
I noticed that the mags review always seem to review the "expensive" stuff.... For example, they will review the Plextor cdrw as soon as they come out. But have you ever heard of a review of the LGs cdrw??? Well, they aren't expensive enough I guess... (and my LG does an excellent job in my computer)

FWIW, those mags are trying to make you feel like second class citizens if you don't spend at least 3000$ for a computer (monitor and speaker not included, of course).

I like my K7S5A, and I like my LG cdrw. For me, it does the same job as if I had paid 1000$ more to have Plextor or Soyo written on my computer.

My point is: don't believe everything you read in those reviews. Visit forums like here, and you will get opinions from "real world" people that aren't getting paid to promote certain product$.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:54 AM

Potenza rep: 19
Witchfinder is on a distinguished road
No one really expects anything great from the likes of Jetway as they`ve consistently made underperforming but reliable cheap motherboards but ECS HAD a good name before PC-Chips took them over and PC-Chips has the worst name of all..

this leaves bad feelings with people and they will diss something before they`ve even seen it!. same with SiS - in the Pentium / K line, they`ve previously produced chipsets that were that BAD that they even made the horrible VIA look good and become top dog for the Athlon - It`s about time that people put their snobbery (especially regarding SiS) behind them and give the things honest reviews - Tom`s Hardware did this with the 735 after a lot of moaning about them releasing the chip too late..

I think that SiS have earned respect, it`s about time they GOT IT - unfortunately the only way I can see it happening is if it`s taken up by Asus, Soyo, Gigabyte etc as ECS have the PC-Chips stigma attached and they`ve not acquitted themselves well with the 6A`s performance issues and as ECS are the first to use each new SiS chipset, people tend to think that the chipset is crap and not the underdeveloped BIOS or board..

SiS really DO need the big players using their chipsets and ECS/PC-Chips need to get their act together with BIOSes..

I wil buy a board based on it`s chipset and hated the thought of EVER buying VIA just to get an athlon in my system.. the 735 really IS the "BX" of K7 Chipsets [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2002, 01:55 PM

Tinkerer24 is on a distinguished road
The nature of hobbyists publications,be they printed or electronic,is to review the latest,greatest,and most expensive. It could be a hotel,golf,dining,photography,stereo,travel,
car,boat,airplane,etc,etc site or magazine. It is just the way of the world and don't let it bother you. Those of us who enjoy ECS products can review them and promote them by word of mouth. That has always worked the best.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:59 PM

Potenza rep: 0
mag is on a distinguished road
Talking

I totally agree with you all... The K7S5A is the best board I have ever owned. And FAR the cheapest one I have ever bought...

--> Witchfinder: "the 735 really IS the "BX" of K7 Chipsets" I really like that quote! :)

I got MUCH MORE of everything, than I had ever thought possible, from my K7S5A: Good AGP performance, good IDE performance, supports all my PCI cards... I could continue all night.. Hehe...

BTW: I even got wonderfull OC possibilities with my K7S5A. I am running my Spitfire 650 @ 975 (6,5 * 150)with agressive mem timings. 100% stable. Never had a better mobo. Beats the hell out of my ASUS and AOpen boards, which cost almost twice as much.

Mag
Old 04-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 25
Keh is on a distinguished road
Ah, but hasn't ECS surpassed ASUS to become the largest mobo supplier?

If that isn't the highest form of recognition, what is?

Granted, it's mainly due to OEM, but they're getting it where it really counts. ;)
Old 04-04-2002, 04:39 PM

ShVen is on a distinguished road
yeah... if it werent for ECS and their cheap-ass K7S5A... id have a MUCH slower cpu now

the board is excelent, its fast, cheap and supports all the newest stuff.... (unfortunatly no IEE1394, USB2, DDR333) but.... who needs that?? i personaly dont!

you can build really nice comps with a K7S5A
Old 04-04-2002, 05:19 PM

one111111 is on a distinguished road
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> yeah... if it werent for ECS and their cheap-ass K7S5A... id have a MUCH slower cpu now <hr></blockquote>

By 'cheap-ass' he means great price to performance ratio, mind you [img]smile.gif[/img]