Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD

General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD Discuss all brands of mainboard problems here. CPU/Chipset issues. Post brand specific questions in the brand channels. Subforums : ABIT, ASUS, Chaintech, EPoX, MSI, Jetway, Chipsets, Extreme Overclocking.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

What is the best upgrade you ever made or intend to make?

General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD

Old 29-12-2000, 06:29 AM
Victor Green

Share with us your experience or plans: What is the best upgrade you ever made or intend to make?

------------------
Happy Overclocking!

Victor Green

quote:
"It is NOT easy being Green." ...Kermit the frog of Sesame Street.
Old 29-12-2000, 03:24 PM
Uranium Member

Potenza rep: 10
Astute33 has disabled reputation
Cool

The best upgrade I intend to make would be a fully computerised home... it should be able to respond to my thoughts and handle mundane stuff like buying grocery / cooking / washing / cleaning / etc...

The whole house should be like a holographic theatre, when I feel like going to the beach, the computer should convert the whole interior of the house to that of a sunny beach.

Teleportation should also be possible by then, so when I want to meet frens, I just beam over... hehe... of coz there should be other exotic functions, but lets leave it to the others to fill in...

------------------
Lies have speed, but truth has endurance...
The Astute Gamer's Portal
[email protected]

Old 29-12-2000, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 24
Fender is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Hehe, I assume you're talking about our desktop machines, right Astute?

I think my best upgrade was probably the increased RAM. I surely benefitted from more memory, especially since I usually have MANY windows open simultaneously and 64MB just doesn't cut it anymore.
Old 29-12-2000, 07:57 PM
Uranium Member

Potenza rep: 10
Astute33 has disabled reputation
Cool

Well, there are 2 parts to VG's question.

you can answer the first part (what upgrade you have made) or second one (what upgrade you intend to make).

I am answering the second part, so thats what my desktop system should be able to do...
Old 29-12-2000, 08:45 PM
Victor Green

quote:
Originally posted by Astute33:
The best upgrade I intend to make would be a fully computerised home... it should be able to respond to my thoughts... Teleportation should also be possible by then, so when I want to meet frens, I just beam over... hehe... of coz there should be other exotic functions, but lets leave it to the others to fill in...

Interesting: Yes! But, be careful what you wish for -- because you might get it.

There is an excelent old science-fiction movie called "Forbiden Planet," with Robby The Robot (I think from the 1950's), where a whole society made an super-computer-controlled environment that amplified and fulfilled their very thoughts. However, the socity was wiped out by "monsters from the id," murdered by the thoughts of their subconcious minds.

The point is that a computer would not be able to tell the diference between a bad thought that we have and would never act on and something we really wanted.

And if you think that a computer and os can screw up now, try giving them unlimited power!

------------------
Happy Overclocking!

Victor Green

quote:
Old 30-12-2000, 12:39 AM
Bronze Member

Cool

Ahhhh, scary. Imagine Windows with unlimited crash power! Haha, and what would happen if your computer developed artifical intelligence and locked you in your own home?
Old 31-12-2000, 10:10 PM
Victor Green

quote:
Originally posted by Fender:
Ahhhh, scary. Imagine Windows with unlimited crash power! Haha, and what would happen if your computer developed artifical intelligence and locked you in your own home?

Could be much worse. Microsoft could make your computer keep buying their WebTV's over the internet via your credit card, before it would open the door or flush your toilet.

------------------
Happy Overclocking!

Victor Green

quote:
Old 01-01-2001, 12:05 AM
Bronze Member

Question

Haha. Microsoft would surely be ruled a monopoly if it did that.

So, does anybody else want to add anything?
Old 02-01-2001, 04:41 AM
Victor Green

quote:
Originally posted by Fender:
Haha. Microsoft would surely be ruled a monopoly if it did that...

The only monopoly our new President Bush believes in is the board game. I suspect that Micro$oft is home free. No breakups no problems.

Any more comments about the best upgrade you ever made or intend to make?

------------------
Happy Overclocking!

Victor Green

quote:
Old 02-01-2001, 06:49 AM

Snadley is on a distinguished road
Best Upgrade?

my best upgrade was going from dialup connection to cable. probably the single best thing I've done all year