Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (AMD Boards)

ASRock (AMD Boards) Support forum for ASRock products. This channel is for AMD boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

990FX Extreme 4 POST issues

ASRock (AMD Boards)

Old 30-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
CairnsFella is on a distinguished road
Default 990FX Extreme 4 POST issues

Hi All,

I actually registered to ask about this problem several months ago, but as I do not like to hassle people (and generally like to try and resolve problems myself) I have persevered and, ultimately "put up" with my prob that I have not managed to fix... and has in fact got worse.

I am not at home so I can only give so many detail about my system, though given that I have stripped the system down to bare essentials a number of times, Im not sure much else would be of use.

Basic specs are 990FX Extreme4 bios 2.70,
8GB (2x4) gskill ripjaws
FX8320 not oc'd
Samsung SSD
WD HDD (Have swapped over from a seagate as part of my elimination process)
Radeon HD5450
Cannot recall the PSU offhand, but I have ensured it is adequate for the system.
Windows 8 (ultimate, or whatever the name is)

In summary, my computer will, more often than not fail POST. Most commonly, but not solely, with code 36. If I recall correctly, 19 was another common one, but there have been a selection of others (the randomness has increased over time).

I have read similar threads in several forums, but in general the apparent solutions provided have not (entirely) worked for me. One suggestion is the BIOS update, which has not worked at all, but the other proposal of clearing the BIOS has had mixed results. Most often the system will boot into Windows after clearing and re configuring the BIOS, but the problem always returns at some stage (could be hours, days, and a few times, weeks). Again though, this isnt 100% of the time, and increasingly clearing the BIOS has failed to resolve the problem. Indeed I am getting more and more shutdowns whilst I am in the UEFI restoring my settings, or the system seemingly constantly booting (i.e. fans restarting, bios codes cycling etc) and this can be matters of half a second, though the duration's are notably varying.

Other common attempted diagnosis / remedies tried include reflashing BIOS, memory swaps, memory slot changes, various drive combinations, and likely a few over the past year or so that I do not recall offhand.

An important note is that, until recently, once Windows had actually started, the system would always be stable (and I had left it overnight a few times, just to check this stability). It is only recently that the system has shut down after windows has (eventually) started. Though on these few occasions, it is only ever during the first few moment. Never after a few minutes plus of usage.

It is this recent development of shutting down during/after Windows has loaded that has meant the problem has become unbearable, as often this prompts an automatic repair, which in turn prompts a restart, which in turn means it may not boot again.

Whilst not an expert (as is undoubtedly clear from my explanation) I have generally been able to diagnose and remedy any problems I have (often with the help of existing forum posts) and have been doing so for over 20 years, but this one has me flummoxed.

I have even considered one of those "postmortem" type POST analysis cards, but I am unsure if either they provide anything useful over the Dr debug codes, or provide any real 'proof' of specifc problems

I have avoided going back to ASRock so far as the only time I ever had an RMA (with an ASUS motherboard) they said I had bent pins. I actually photographed the board so the the it's condition prior to sending was recorded, and there were clearly no bent pins, but they remained adamant over months of exchanges. Needless to say I was very stressed and upset by that event, and it has led me to avoid any possible repeat scenario.

Ultimately I am unsure there is anything else other than what I had read to date regarding this problem, but this is really a last ditch desperate plea for other ideas before I ditch the mobo and have to fork out for another one.

Just one last note. When I get back home I will obviously be able to add any other details you require.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 31-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 20
Tweakurr is on a distinguished road

If is restarts while in the uefi screen, I suspect memory or cpu. It could be seating of the either of the chips. Probably start by running with as minimal of ram as possible and see if the problem continues. That should set things in motion to start isolating the problem.

Keep Tweaking!