Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ECS / PCChips

ECS / PCChips ECS Sector

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

problems with floppy on k7s5a

ECS / PCChips

Old 15-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
farmboy is on a distinguished road
i built a computer with the k7s5a and everything was recognized including the floppy but when i try to use the floppy it says it cant find the floppy boot record the lights are on but nobodys home .no really i have tryed 2 floppy drives both that do work ive tryed 3 cables that all work on other systems its turned on in the bios ive made it boot from the floppy in the bios ive cleared the cmos ive plugged cables in every way possible im stuck please help any and all info will be highly appreciated
Old 15-10-2003, 11:58 AM

Potenza rep: 21
freelancer is on a distinguished road
..IS IT POSS THAT THE DRIVE IS JUST CRAP? AND NEEDS A GOOD DOSE OF THE HAMMER...WITH FLOPPYS THERE SO CHEAP AND SO TEMPRAMENTAL....THAT WHEN MINE GOES TO THE GREAT FLOPPY GIG IN THE SKY....I DONT GIVE IT ANY THOUGHT AND GET A NEW ONE...THERES ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT WITH OTHER COMPONANTS

Old 15-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Rookie

one floppy is brand new and the other is used but i tryed them both in another system and they both work fine . I really wish you was right it would be an easy fix. I did a search on this forum and it seems no one else has had this problem .
Old 15-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 24
Cheepoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
..IS IT POSS THAT THE DRIVE IS JUST CRAP? AND NEEDS A GOOD DOSE OF THE HAMMER...WITH FLOPPYS THERE SO CHEAP AND SO TEMPRAMENTAL....THAT WHEN MINE GOES TO THE GREAT FLOPPY GIG IN THE SKY....I DONT GIVE IT ANY THOUGHT AND GET A NEW ONE...THERES ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT WITH OTHER COMPONANTS
Man, you're a poet [img]smile.gif[/img]

farmboy, if it's a new mobo it could be DOA after all. Can you take it back to the shop?
Old 15-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Rookie

well i sure do appreciate all your help im taken it apart as we speak and yes it can go back i just kinda needed a second apinion yall have a good one
Old 15-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 23
Smoker is on a distinguished road
Floppy drive problems used to be more common like when the board first came out. Some people tried 3 brands of new ones and had no luck but usually relacing an old floppy with a newer one did the trick.

The floppy would light on boot, then in Windows when you tried to access the floopy disk, Windows would want to format it if it could at all even find it.

It's a hassle, but you may have to keep trying different brands until you find one that works. I went from a generic to a Sony floppy but that brand may not work on your board. There was no known brand that worked on all boards when this problem was more popular.
Old 15-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

OclockdECS is on a distinguished road
Make sure swap floppy isn't enabled in bios ( really don't matter cause you just slide down to the next terminal on your floppy cable, hence before the twist) Second, make sure that the red line on the floppy cable goes to pin 1 on the floppy (usually towards the power connector). Both are easy to do. Hope this helps. ;)
Old 15-10-2003, 05:03 PM

kilo is on a distinguished road
This may be too simple but are you sure it is a floppy cable? Different than others. Most problems when light stays on are cable problems.
Old 15-10-2003, 05:11 PM

Potenza rep: 22
JnJn is on a distinguished road
turn on "seek floppy drive" in bios for the first time. then your board will make it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 15-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 24
davidgl is on a distinguished road
My experiences concord with Smoker. Not all FDDs have pin one adjacent to the power connector, of course, but that's an easy option to eliminate. Some drives are just incompatible with some boards. Better to keep a stack of old ones to hand to eliminate that possibility. Most are indestructible - blow/suck out the dirt, relube and it's good for another decade. Sony and Mitsubishi are especially reliable. Panasonic and ALPS (worst) are to be avoided. Buying new (the American strategy!) is often the least satisfactory solution.
DGL.