Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD

General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD Discuss all brands of mainboard problems here. CPU/Chipset issues. Post brand specific questions in the brand channels. Subforums : ABIT, ASUS, Chaintech, EPoX, MSI, Jetway, Chipsets, Extreme Overclocking.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Interesting cooling results...

General Mainboards/CPU/Chipsets/OC-MOD

Old 14-08-2002, 11:52 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
jewellboy is on a distinguished road
My case came with one fan in the side panel set up for exhaust. The box idled at about 48, and went to 54 under load. When I turned the side fan around so that it was being used as an intake, temps went down ten degrees!! Well, in a quest for ever lower case temps, I purchased four panaflow 80's and installed two in the front panel (intake), and two in the back (exhaust). After installation (only one in the front and one in the back running due to a temp lack of wire) the temps have gone back up again to their original figures! Now, I'm not done messing around here...I'm sure that once they are all wired up, I can play with the setup and get the results I'm after...I just thought it was interesting. Thanks-
Old 14-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 24
SJP is on a distinguished road
Cooling is a black-art rather than a science. The K7S5A MoBo temp sensor is towards the lower part of the case - well away from the CPU socket - thus you may find that the system temp drops without CPU temps dropping if your airflow just cools the sensor.

Ideally you need to vent (exhaust) air at the top of the case, and intake at the lower front - giving a diagonal airflow pattern. I believe that is why you saw a 10°C drop with one fan intake on the side - cool air then rose as it warmed, and vented from nearer the top. With your new set-up of fans on the front and back, you were creating airflow only in the lower portion of the case, leaving warm air in the top.

I have a 120mm intake on the case side, which will drop temps by around 10°C CPU, and 6°C Case. I also have an 80mm intake on the opposite side, and two 80mm exhausts on the top. With all the fans running I get another 2°C drop maximum. Side fans seem to be the most beneficial.

Old 14-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Defender

Arrow

Jewelboy...

Heat rises.

Cut a hole in the top of your case, take the front and back fans out, and keep the side fan bringing air into the case (preferable right on top of the CPU).

tnx

>> Def

BTW: When you put the other two fans in, it weakened the cool outside airflow from the side fan onto the CPU.
Old 16-08-2002, 03:20 AM
Gold Member

Potenza rep: 28
Tim B is on a distinguished road
Moving to general modding/overclocking...