Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (AMD Boards)

ASRock (AMD Boards) Support forum for ASRock products. This channel is for AMD boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

A7N8X Detects Wrong CPU ?

ASRock (AMD Boards)

Old 24-01-2003, 03:32 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
Pamulli is on a distinguished road
Question

I just built my first system using the A7N8X board and an XP 2400, but the board is showing my processor as an XP 1800+. I ran the PC Probe software and it displayed a message saying the processor was being determined by jumpers and not by detecting the CPU. I can't find any jumpers for this or BIOS settings. I haven't done anything to the default BIOS settings other than setting it to Aggressive. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Old 24-01-2003, 04:40 AM

Potenza rep: 22
gianthatr is on a distinguished road
What is your FSB set to? I'm guessing 100Mhz? Try setting it to 133Mhz. Read page 21 of your user manual and see if your jumpers are set sorrectly...

Old 24-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Rookie

Unfortunately I'm not at the computer at the moment so I can't check my BIOS, but I looked at page 21 in the manual and it talks about jumper settings for clearing the RAM clock and Keyboard Power? The only other jumpers I found deal with powering up with the keyboard, mouse or USB device? Those wouldn't affect my CPU would they? I enabled all of them. There doesn't seem to be any jumpers dealing with CPU other than changing the FSB and mine is set at 266/333.
Sorry if these are such basic questions, this is my very first system from scratch. I just thought that it should auto detect my CPU be default?
Old 24-01-2003, 09:08 AM

a0n-C is on a distinguished road
make sure ur using the correct type of ram. i had this problem with mine when i first booted it up. i wasnt using compatible ram and it caused weird problems including the one ur experiencing. check asus' sight for compatible chips. asus' table for a7n8x ram
Old 24-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Rookie

I'm using 2 Dimms of 256 meg Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2.

I did find something suggesting that my FSB may be set to 100 rather than 133 and I'll check that when I get home. Unfortunately I don't know very much about those settings so I hoped the default was correct. Is there a guide anywhere for multipliers and things like that?
Old 24-01-2003, 02:30 PM

a0n-C is on a distinguished road
if ur running on 100FSB then u need to change the jumper that is located on the board next to the chipset so that it can hand bot 133 and 166 FSB
Old 28-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Rookie

It was a simple BIOS setting. The default was 100fsb and once I change it to 133fsb everything was fine. Well excpet that the sound doesn't work.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess you can tell this is my first build.