Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > MSI

MSI Discuss about Microstar mainboards, notebooks, graphics cards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

MSI 6541 v1.0

MSI

Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 20
trodas is on a distinguished road
Question MSI 6541 v1.0

I searching for any informations about this mainboard, jumper description, pinout of the pins for power, reboot, HDD/power leds and mainly looking for information witch usable (overclocking-wise) bios to use there - no, the Compaq one is too restricting one...

This is OEM maminboard MSI made for Compaq. It was used in Compaq D310 computers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&manualLang=en

Unfortunately the manual did not tell us much, except the chipset is i854-G and that it like DDR SDRAMs with CL2 or CL2,5 but not worser. Or at least that is what they say there in manual...

The board use reasonably high (for MSI) amount of caps.
Vcore input = 4x 820uF 25V Chemi-con KZE (replace 4x Samxon GC 1000uF 16V)
Vcore output = 8x 2200uF Nichicon HM (replace Samxon 10x GC 2200uF 6.3V
Vcore output also has 1x Chemi-con KZG 1000uF 6.3V and yellow Fujitsu polymer 820uF 4V-
Filtering voltages ram/chipset = 10x G-Luxon 1000uF 6.3V (replace 13x Samxon GC 1000uF 6.3V)
USB voltage filter = 1x Chemi-con KZG 1500uF 16V (replace Samxon GC 1500uF 16V (or 6.3V?) )
chipset support cap = 1x G-Luxon 680uF 6.3V (replace with Samxon GC 1000uF 6.3V)
support caps = 9x 100uF 16V noname (?!?!) (replace with Samxon GK 100uF 25V)
custom caps = 1x Teapo 470uF 6.3V (replace with Samxon GC 470uF 16V)
custom caps = 2x Teapo 100uF 6.3V (replace with Samxon Gk 100uF 25V)
custom caps = 1x G-Luxon 100uF 16V (replace with Samxon GK 100uF 25V)
custom caps = 1x Teapo 33uF 50V (replace with Samxon GK 47uF 25V)
custom caps = 3x Teapo 100uF 25V (replace with Samxon GK 100uF 25V)
support SMD caps = 4x 10uF 16V (replace maybe with 10uF SMD ceramics)

46 caps total.

The used chipset i854G has integreted graphic and support P4 CPUs with 533Mhz quadpump bus. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chi...45g-i845e.html
Quadpump is just a nice marketing BS, the bus run at 133Mhz then... (so, Pentium 4 2.4GHz or Pentium 4 2.53GHz seems to be ideal candidate for this mobo) That is why the Compaq want us to use DDR 266 or 200... But the chipset does support running FSB 133Mhz and RAM at 166, hence support DDR 333! At least the ports should be USB 2.0, yet there is ATA 100 only, not ATA133.

Some more pictures of the mainbaord in question:

Anyone can help?
Old 13-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Real Spammer

Potenza rep: 110
multimeter is on a distinguished road

see the red mark of the board:

P_F1
17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1
18 16 null 12 10 8 6 4 2
2-4:POW LED 6-8:PSW 10-12:RESET
1-3:HDD LED
but no information abt the SPK,i think 11 13 15 17 is SPK,just have a try,good luck:)
http://download.msi.com.cn/cgi/cgi-b...m=1&topic=7134

Last edited by multimeter : 13-03-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: edit

Old 14-03-2007, 05:18 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot! By any chance, the polarity for the led can be determined, eg. witch one is + and with one is -? Maybe the user on the MSI forum can say?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Bronze Member

Wink

Truth to be told, what make me interested about this mobo is it's Vcore regulator. Yes, it is there phases only, but how well it was build! Look at the unusually high number of ceramic SMD caps towards the CPU socket and no missing SMD caps into the socket. Yes, in the last line there are each second omitted, but that could be fixed easily...

On the Vcore input are four pieces of caps, witch is sadly rare sight today's and on some over-optimized boards (or over-cut down on caps) that over-stress the PSUs is even only ONE cap with laughable 270uF capacity. Showing the bank of there input caps, now a 1500uF Samxon GC ones

Firt there was used, for the P4 heatsink attachment necessary place, a 1000uF Chemi-con and 820uF Fujitsu polymer. I bet you agree that replacing them with 2x 2700uF Samxon URL polymers are luxury for the CPU How many companies produce mainboards with 2700uF big polymers? I know about neither todays... but I could be wrong, of course

I did not forget about the small caps near chipset too and mainboard get instead of crappy Teapos the best it can get in d6.3 - a 470uF Smxon GD 6.3V:

In this odd spot was originally a 33uF Teapo cap, so I did not experimented much and I tried a Samxon GK 47uF cap there to be sure it will work

From the DIMM rams powering circuit comrades from MSI stolen a mosfer, so I try compensate this loss with at least nice Samxon GC 1000uF 6.3V caps. Rest are 100uF 25V Samxon GK ones. Instead of noname/Teapo ones the mainboard must be very happy now.

And one more photo of the bios - there the comrades from MSI save money on socket, so if there something happen with the bios, then the board is dead...

And now I'm ready for testing!

And now come a problem - friend who give me this mobo did not include with it the P4 heatsink holder - the black PVC part that is attached with four screws on the board and hold all P4 heatsinks into place.

So I choosed a Zalman CNPS 9500A LED and slapped it on the CPU die (thanks to HoNY for this naked P4 CPU anyway!) thru a layer of AS5 and begin the testing phase. While holding the heatsink in place with one hand. So from a USB flash drive I booted the DSL - Damn Small Linux - witch is Linux that has 50MB size, in like 2 min it boot w/o any kind of installation and you are in 1024 x 768 x 32bit and 75Hz X-windows GUI. You can set higher resolution, if you want to as we as refresh rate - at least on the Intel integrated graphic it worked well. The surprise was, that even the integrated NIC was detected and after just entering the IP address of my machine I choosed, my gataway (my router) and IP of DHCP server of my ISP and clicking on OK - I was on the net! Amazing! No waiting, no restarts, reboots... just click and it works! Shocking, for windows user.
And in these 50MB is included a Firefox as well! Fantastic! I immediately started browsing on 4chan for big pics to see, how it can handle that
However then the P4 heat up, the AS5 become slippery and I felt that the heatsink kinda lost contact with the die for a short while... witch make me scared. Even the CPU survived, I had enough. My fingers hurt, so I power the machine down (Linux powering down is a bit slower, tough) and enough of this testing w/o P4 heatsink holder

Another friend already promised to give me one, so I hope it will be here soon to resume testing of this interesting board and perhaps finding a usable bios for it too. The P4 I got can be overclocked past 3.1GHz, so... running it on default 2GHz speed is a shame.